The minute we decided to feature Coconut as our Flavor of the Month for September, I knew we needed to bring back my all-time favorite recipe for Chicken Luau.
This flavorful dinner dish packs a robust punch of onion with a subtle coconut taste. To achieve the perfect culinary balance, we use the Instant Coconut Mix from NOH with a sprinkle of Maui Onion Gourmet Sea Salt from For J's . Trust us when we say the combination leaves you with a savory flavor that's bound to make your mouth water.
Enjoy the warm and comforting Chicken Luau as a kickoff to the Fall season!
- 1 package NOH Coconut Milk Flavor Base
- 5 cups warm water
- 1 lb. chicken (cut into 11/2 ” bite size pieces)
- 1 lb. frozen spinach or frozen cooked luau leaves
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 tablespoon For J's Maui Onion Seasoning Salt
- Combine NOH Coconut Milk Mix with 1 cup warm water, mix well and set aside.
- Place chicken pieces into a medium-size pot and cover with water.
- Boil for 30 minutes or until done then drain water.
- Add 2 tablespoons salted butter and a pinch of salt.
- Cook for 1 - 2 minutes while stirring. Set aside.
- Rinse spinach or luau leaves in water and drain.
- Combine 1 tablespoon of salt with 4 cups water; mix well and add to spinach leaves. Let stand for 10 minutes, then rinse again with water and drain. (Squeeze off excess water).
- Add Coconut Milk mixture and spinach to cooked chicken. Simmer on medium to low heat for 5 minutes; stirring occasionally.
We recommend pairing this with our Hawaiian Coconut Rice recipe!