Summertime brings hot weather but also brings a chance to enjoy cool foods and BBQ time!
A Healthy Start
Start with bringing a salad to a BBQ, which can be a treat to party-goers who may be vegetarians or who wish for a healthy and low-calorie option to macaroni or potato salads at summer parties.
Making a salad using mixed greens and adding cherry or sliced tomatoes, sliced cucumber, avocado, and black beans adds a variety of good fiber veggies, vitamins and protein. Serve with Da Kine Hawaiian Island Dressing with its light kick of cayenne pepper and sweet pineapple juice, you've got the party started on a healthy and tasty note.
The Main Dish-Sizzling and Spicy Marinade
In Hawaii, many celebrations include Shoyu Chicken on the grill. Here is our version with a kick.
Spicy Shoyu Marinade Recipe
Makes about 12 servings
- 1 cup Da Kine Hawaiian Hot Soy Sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger root
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon Da Kine Hawaiian Hot Sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 5 pounds skinless chicken thighs
- Whisk together the soy sauce, brown sugar, water, garlic, onion, ginger, black pepper, oregano, Da Kine Hawaiian Hot Sauce, and cayenne pepper in a large glass or ceramic bowl. Add the chicken thighs, and toss to evenly coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and marinate the chicken in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat, and lightly oil the grate.
- Remove the chicken thighs from the marinade. Discard the remaining marinade. Grill the chicken thighs on the preheated grill until cooked through, about 10 minutes per side.
Put Some Passion Into A Cool Dessert Idea
Lilikoi, or passion fruit, is a tangy tropical and great, unique Hawaiian flavor to any dessert dish. Try this yummy recipe incorporating all the flavors of Hawaii with fruit for dipping for an Island dessert treat at your next BBQ!
Hawaiian Lilikoi Cream Cheese Heaven
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup Aunty Lilikoi Passion Fruit Syrup or Aunty Lilikoi Passion Fruit Butter
- 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup coconut
- 3 Tbsp. milk
In a small mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, Aunty Lilikoi syrup or butter, and vanilla until smooth. Add coconut and milk. Turn into a serving bowl, cover and chill. Serve with slices of cold fresh fruit.